Tuesday, May 22, 2012

such a fucking existentialist

"We're all slaves to this place that doesn't really want us."
--Girls, episode 6
Today, I trucked ahead and continued to apply for jobs.

I need a haircut because my hair is just the messiest it's ever been.
I need a dentist's appointment because I haven't gotten my teeth cleaned in a year.
I need a strapless bra because it's a staple in a girl's wardrobe.

I realized that maybe TV writing isn't for me.
It's such a big decision for me to come to, since this was what I was going to dedicate this summer to.
It's just so hard for me to stick to and manipulate someone else's voice because my own voice always, always seeps through and takes over, even in formal reports, even in business papers. Why do I always feel the need to snark out everything?

Maybe the bigger problem is that I don't have a grasp on the basics of storytelling yet. Every time I write anything, there's no inciting event, there's no resolution because there's no conflict, there's no bigger problem. When I write, nothing happens, like in Mad Men.

Things just occur, but nothing happens.

Maybe it's because my life is currently going through this kind of stagnancy, and I can only relate what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment