Saturday, August 11, 2012

Part 1

Yesterday, I watched my first game of the 2012 Olympics, South Korea vs. Japan Men's Soccer for the Bronze. I watched pretty observantly as Korea knocked in those two goals while I took uninterested nibbles into my baguette club sandwich but didn't stay long enough to see the game end because I had to leave to go take Christina to her eye appointment in Chinatown.

Sidenote: I really hate sandwiches that use baguette-like breads. Sliced bread all the way, man.

Dealing with fobs is kind of the worst, but dealing with Chinese ones is definitely the worst. Having finally set this appointment after a long drudging phone conversation, we find out that the eye people actually don't carry CRT lenses after Christina specified, re-specified, and re-re-specified to them exactly what she needed. Chinese people never fucking listen or care.

Well that was a waste of time then, so we decided to grab dinner in Chinatown at a ramen place we decided to try out. What we learned that day: Chinese people make the worst ramen. This was the second time I went to a Chinese restaurant to eat ramen, and both times, at separate restaurants, it was overcooked, so I'm led to believe that that's how Chinese people cook their ramen, uck. Neither of us could finish our bowls, but we made up for it by spending 3 hours talking about life. I told her about my problems, she told me about hers. It was really nice to just spend a day with my sister because in this busy city, it's so hard to find time to do so for some reason, even when we don't feel like we're ever doing something productive.

Then we headed back up to her place out of convenience because Peter had texted me earlier to hang out at night. For about two hours, I played games on my iPod while Christina browsed furniture online when I realized that Peter still hadn't texted me back, so I asked for details and he sent me an address and a time.

INT. CHRISTINA'S APARTMENT - EVENING

CONZ
915 Broadway, 10:15.

CHRISTINA
Wait, I think that's on 21st and Broadway. (types into Google Maps) Yeah, that's 21st and Broadway cuz my work address is 920 Broadway.

CONZ
Oh whoa, that's near here. 

CHRISTINA
What's this place supposed to be?

CONZ
Uh, I don't know, he didn't say. I'll ask. (texts "Is this a bar or someone's apt?") Well, are you doing anything tonight? Do you want to come along?

CHRISTINA
I think me and Simon are going to Crimson tonight cuz his friends are promoting a party there, but I don't know for sure because Simon seems really tired.

CONZ
Is Crimson a lounge or a club or something?

CHRISTINA
It's more like a club.

CONZ
(receives text) What, he says it's a club.

CHRISTINA
What the, I don't ever remember seeing a club there.

CONZ
Uhh.. I'm not dressed up because I thought we were going to a bar.

CHRISTINA
Wait a sec...

Christina types "crimson nightclub" into Google. The first result is the address, 915 Broadway.

CONZ
Oh my god.

Super weird coincidence. Christina and I never cross paths, but this night we practically had the same plans without even knowing it. Well, Christina decided that she wasn't going to go anymore because she didn't want to go awkward clubbing with her big sister, hahaha. We scourged her closet for a dress I could wear and decided on a partially-dried black mini.

Long story short, Peter and Will, the two guys I knew the best there, bailed, so I ended up partying with Jagi and Moe and her friends from the spring semester at Yonsei. Even though I didn't know anyone that well, it was a nice nostalgic escape from real New York. At one point of the night, we're not sure if we got booked lol. Weirdly though, I bumped into Lillian and Ran and some other NYU people there too. It was the first time in five days that I had seen anyone from NYU, so I also experienced a different kind of weird nostalgia from that moment.

Having only bites of a sandwich and half a bowl of overcooked ramen lining my stomach, I immediately got drunk off of one shot of tequila, 2 mixed drinks, and a glass of champagne. I know it's just me, but champagne only tastes good when you're already kind of drunk.

The group split in two when the girls decided to go to Marquee and the guys chose the K-town route. I stuck with Moe and Jagi to K-town because of the familiarity of both the people and the place. We drank at Woorijip (of course) and I was "good drunk" the first time ever since Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment